Monday

Jeff reading Anders "The Cat in the Hat."
Once upon a time, which happened to be today, Anders said he wanted to make a chocolate cake and asked if he could use a spoonful of flour. I told him I usually use a cake mix when I make a chocolate cake. "And do you use a brownie mix when you make brownies?" he inquired. Of course, I do. Since I didn't offer him a cake mix, and he didn't ask for one, I told him he could use a spoonful of flour and then I sat and observed. He got out a small cereal bowl and a spoon. Carefully, he scooped out one spoonful of flour and placed it in the bowl. Then he slid a chair over to the counter and removed the salt, pepper, and cinnamon/sugar from the cupboard. He added those ingredients to the bowl, mostly salt. It comes out fast, you know. It's hard to tell when enough is enough. Then he added a little bit of water and stirred. He was so proud of his work and I encouraged him to taste it. He barely touched his tongue to the spoon, smiled, and said it was very good. "It's salty ice-cream water," he informed me. Good to know. I had to step out of the room for a minute and when I came back, I noted that he had helped himself to the baking soda and cocoa powder. Looked like he just poured, no scooping involved this time. I put those ingredients away and then told him not to get anything else out of the cupboard. He added more water, so much more that he couldn't stir the mixture without spilling out the cocoa powder that was floating on top. "I'll just let it get wet by itself," he stated as he excused himself from the kitchen and became occupied elsewhere. A minute later, he came back and asked if it had been mixed up. Nope, it sure hadn't. That doesn't really happen by itself. He left again and I took the opportunity to make the mixture disappear. He was okay with that because it was time to go get Leif and Sabrina from the bus stop. The End.

1 comment:

Roemmele Family said...

My what patience you have. It is fun to see what they can come up with though.