Sunday

I LOVE this quote:

The only gift is a portion of thyself. Thou must bleed for me. Therefore the poet brings his poem; The shepherd, his lamb; the farmer, corn; the minor, a gem; the sailor, coral and shells; the painter, his picture; the girl, a handkerchief of her own sewing. This is right and pleasing, for it restores society in so far to its primary basis, when a man’s biography is conveyed in his gift, and every man’s wealth is an index of his merit. But it is a cold, lifeless business when you go to the shops to buy me something which does not represent your life and talent, but a goldsmith’s.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson


This quote reminds me of the best gifts we were given at our wedding reception. Bev Henderson, a very talented artist and art teacher, gifted us some of her beautiful, personalized artwork! She's AMAZING! I am such a fan and would like to see (and own) more of her work, but...so sad for me, we do not live near her anymore. Does she have an online shop? I have searched, but have not found. :( Anyone? Anyone? ;)

I enjoy making things for other people, although I admit I don't do it often enough. My dearest Sabrina is turning 8 this year! I've got plans to make her a totally cute scripture tote! Shhh! Don't tell! I have to make it before school gets out because she has a summer birthday. The idea came from here.

4 comments:

Skinhorse said...

What a wonderful quote! I've never read that one before. I must say, though, that my heart feels the same as Emerson's. In fact, I often have such a struggle with buying things for people, for whenever possible, I seek to ensure some symbolic meaning is attached. I likewise hope to discover meaning behind another's purchase of a gift for me. Those gifts given from the heart, the talent of the hand and mind, or even the sweat of the laborer, become the most treasured.

Thank you for sharing this. I am going to save it now in my collection of great quotes.

the Marvelous Mrs. M said...

That's a great quote and I'll be sure to pass on that sweet comment to my mom- I'm sure she'll be thrilled to hear it :) She does not have any paintings for sale right now- she had some temple paintings in the LDS bookstore in Tucson but it has closed. Perhaps when she retires from teaching she'll get more serious about trying to sell her stuff :)

Patsy said...

Such a cute idea!!!!

Clarisa said...

it is a great quote. makes me feel a little better about all my crazy homemade gifts - even though they never quite turn out right. also, love the bag. our primary pres. gives one to every kid on their b-day but it doesn't have pockets or the adorable flowers i hope you were going to add. still, my girls love them and bring them to church always. you are such a great sewer, i know it will be cute! post pics?