Today is the Sabbath, a day of rest. My lesson in Relief Society was about the history of the Relief Society and Visiting Teaching. I made an outline and didn't shuffle around a lot of papers during the lesson like I did the last time I taught. I used an analogy that I thought of a few months ago while I was making dinner one night using my favorite, trusty ol' pot that is still shiny and is just the right size for my family. It was an expensive pot, but worth the money in the long run because I'll probably never have to replace it. Jeff and I bought it before we were married as a wedding gift to ourselves. That means we've had it for almost 12 years and it's still beautiful!Anyway, this pot helps me to feed my family. Without it, my kids wouldn't know spaghetti, rice, beans, etc. The pot is a tool that serves me by helping me to nourish my family, give them what they need, and they are thriving. We are all like the pot, a tool that serves the Lord by serving others, nourishing them spiritually and temporally. The Lord needs us and depends on us to do his work just as I depend on my pot to feed my children. The pot was part of my table display.
Jeff was out of town this weekend (he should be home in about an hour) so for dinner tonight I used my trusty ol' pot and made the kids one of their favorite dinners: mac & cheese with hotdogs. Thought you'd want to know that. Then I made and received some phone calls while the kids played and then got themselves ready for bed. Leif read to Sabrina and Anders for a long time. It was so cute to see them snuggling together on my bed engrossed in "The Good Humor Man." Instead of going to get the camera, I just enjoyed the moment and watched as they finished the book. I feel joy in my heart during those times when they are getting along so well. Leif is a great big brother when he's not teasing for entertainment! :)
It's the start of a new month and I feel like it's going to be a good one! I haven't felt sick in a few weeks. My energy is starting to come back to me somehow and the nesting is creeping in! I've started cleaning out my closet and tossing stuff out that I don't care about anymore. Wow! That feels so good! :) I've managed to keep the living room, family room, and kitchen mostly tidy this past week, but the children's bedrooms are horrific again! I already dejunked both of their rooms recently. I think they have too many blankets and too many toys with a bazillion itty-bitty pieces.
Sometimes I think it would be nice to live back in the days of "Little House on the Prairie." Fewer toys, furniture, appliances, and everything else. Simplicity. The only thing I wonder about is what they used before TP was invented?
6 comments:
Just like cloth diapers... they used cloth TP.
you must be an awesome teacher...wish i could visit your ward. as for the tp, some countries still don't have it...one RM said they just wash their hands REALLY well afterwards. Yeah for living in th plush USA.
in response to your comment, i think you would be jealous because ruthie had 2 black eyes and you always wanted your own shiner! but never the bad jealousy, just the fun kind.:)
also, thanks for the advice with smelly shoes! and crockpot substitutes. very clever.
I rotate my kids toys - the room is still messy, but that way they only have half the toys. Then when they are bored I just swap them and it keeps them entertained because it's like getting new toys.
The only way to clean a house: Move or burn it.
I had heard back in the day before TP they used the cob after you ate the corn off of it.
Post a Comment