Thursday

Fun Bag

Sabrina and I recently sorted through her wardrobe and pulled out the clothes that are too small for her. Some of her denim pants are too stained or ripped up to donate, but have parts that are salvageable for another use. You've probably seen those cute little bags/purses made from kid sized blue jeans. I made this bag reversible, but then decided I really wanted to use it, so I hand stitched a zipper into it. It's not reversible now, but is super functional! I LOVE it!!! :)
How To Make a Denim Purse

Prepare the pants
  • Remove any inside buttons and adjustable-waist elastic. Sew zipper cover closed. Tack down the lining of the front pockets.
  • Cut the pant legs off parallel to the waist about 2 1/2 to 3 inches below the bottom of the back pockets. Cut the inside seam on the legs. Turn the pants in-side-out and sew the front seam straight down from bottom of zipper to pants cut edge. Do the same to the back seam.
  • Decide which way you want the purse to fold: both front pockets on the same side (both back pockets on the other side) or one front pocket on each side (one back pocket on each side). I chose one front pocket on each side. With the pants folded flat in the desired layout, cut a 1 1/2" square from each bottom corner.
Cut out the lining and straps
  • Place the pants on a double thickness of lining fabric. Cut lining fabric around the shape of the pants adding 1/2" seam allowance on the sides only, not top or bottom.
  • Cut desired strap length and width from lining fabric and denim, sewing strips of denim together if needed for length. I cut my strap pieces about 2" wide and 50" long (I like them long).

Sew the purse together
  • With right sides together, sew the bottom seem of the denim piece. On one bottom corner, pull the fabric on the inside corners and line up the cut edges. Sew closed and repeat on the other bottom corner.
  • With right sides together, sew the side seams of the lining with 1/2" seam allowance. Sew bottom seams the same as for the denim piece.
  • Sew strap pieces with right sides together. Turn right-side-out and top stitch. Sew straps onto denim piece, leaving the top 1/2" of the bag free from any stitching. I sewed my strap ends on about 1 1/2" below the top edge of the bag and then turned the straps up and topstiched.
  • Place lining piece into the denim piece with wrong sides together. Baste around top edge.
Finish the top seam without a zipper and have a reversable bag
  • Use double-fold bias tape to finish the top edge
  • Top stitch strap ends a second time, this time closer to the top edge of the bag.
I can tell you how to put a zipper closure in without having to hand stitch it in, but I'd have to do it with pictures because it's hard for me to explain with just words. Sorry, I'll have to save that for another time. :)

4 comments:

the Marvelous Mrs. M said...

You're so clever and your purse is too cute!

Vickie said...

Very cute purse! And your family is so cute and they're all getting so big.

Skinhorse said...

Adorable! How is it that so many skilled women like you exist in the world?

Clarisa said...

same old stuff here...you are so talented and it is so cute...but truly, what else can i say? it is what it is! awesome job!