The next few days were tough because our front doors were totally insecure and I didn't feel good about leaving the house. Boring. Leif had his pinewood derby car kit to work on and I didn't have any paint for it. I went out Monday night after Jeff got home to get some and Leif painted his car Tuesday morning, which was the day of the derby. He painted it to look like a cow with fire coming off the back of it and named it "Flaming Steak." I went over it with a sharpe after it was dry and then it was good to go, except for the putting on of the wheels. I spent some time that afternoon sewing something for Sabrina to wear that night to her choir performance which was after the derby.
Time flies when I sew and next thing I new we had to get over to the church to help get things ready for the derby. I ended up dropping off the items I was responsible for bringing and then running out to get pizza, ice, and washer to use as weights on the cars. By the time I got back to the church, it was about 10 minutes into the car registration time and Leif was upset about being late. We walked into the cultural hall and I hear the cub scout master over the microphone say we had three minutes left to register the cars. Yipes! Leif's car didn't even have wheels on it yet. I thought for sure someone would have brought a hammer, but there wasn't one around. I had Eli tugging at my leg while I was unsuccessfully trying to get the first nail axle into the car. I couldn't do it and that is when I broke. *sob* Not the car, me. I had a breakdown. My stress level had reached its peak. Jeff wasn't there yet and I felt all alone. The cub scout master, who is awesome, came up to me before I started crying and asked me how we were doing. "I can't get the wheels on," I explained as my first tear released itself from my eye. She took the car and parts and told Leif to follow her. I just stood there and tried to compose myself. Where's chocolate when you need some?
Leif had help putting on his wheels by another boy's really awesome dad. I don't know how he did it without a hammer, but it only took a few minutes and then Leif was back to weigh his car. We ended up gluing five washers on the bottom to make it weigh exactly 5 ounces. The cars raced according to the boys' age group. Leif's car one first place in the Webelos tier and 2nd place overall. "Not bad for just getting the wheels on!" commented the cub scout master. *sigh* It all worked out after all and Jeff showed up shortly after the racing started.
As soon as the clean-up was mostly done, Leif, Eli, Sabrina, and I headed over to another church for Sabrina's choir performance while Jeff, who was sick, went home with Anders and Uncle Terry, who had arrived that afternoon to work on our doors. It was a fun showcase of band, orchestra, and choral music performed by junior high students and students attending the elementary schools that feed into the junior high. I couldn't see Sabrina very well because there were seriously thousands of people there, but the camera put her on the large screens for a few seconds a few times and she looked so cute! :) She's so darling.
No comments:
Post a Comment