Saturday

Just an Update

We've all been healthy and generally happy at our house as of late.

Dacia (6 mo.) was sleeping very well at night until about three weeks or so ago. I feel like I'm really dragging since being woken up several times every night for the past three weeks. Help! When that happens, I feel like I can't keep my head above water in other aspects of my life such as housework, meal prep, exercising, and being a sweet mother. I start to turn into a grumpy bear, sadly. I love being a mother, but I'm just having a difficult time right now.

Eli (2 1/2) neglects most toys and enjoys the kitchen as his playground. Every day there is at least one thing he does, what was it yesterday...Oh, yes, milk in the Brita water filter. Nice. He's almost three, so at least he can talk and understand reason a little. I try my best to keep him entertained, but I've a baby to tend to as well, for cryin' out loud.

Anders (6, 1st grade) had his first four baby teeth pulled by the dentist because the permanent teeth were grown in behind them and the baby teeth weren't even loose. The dentist told him he was like a shark (multiple rows of teeth) and asked him if he ate fish. Ha! Ha! Anders HAD eaten some salmon that day! Anders is doing very well with keeping up on his homework without me having to nag. He's an excellent reader now, too! Hooray! :) He's been enjoying the Junie B. Jones books lately.

Sabrina (9, 4th grade) took 4th place in the school spelling bee and was able to go to the county spelling bee as an alternate. It was a fun experience for her and she didn't stress about it. Sabrina started piano lessons in January and had her very first piano recital last night! She played Ode to Joy by Beethoven. It's been amazing to see her go from not being able to play anything (except, you know, "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star") to having that piece memorized (simplified version). She's great at practicing the piano daily without me having to remind her. Other things I don't have to remind her to do are her homework and her chores. She's also amazing at keeping her bedroom tidy and going the extra mile. She'll do her chore of emptying the dishwasher after dinner and then go the extra mile and load it while I'm taking care of Dacia. I'll ask her to pick out Dacia's clothes for the day, and she'll do that AND get Dacia dressed! :) What a sweetheart Sabrina is!

Leif (11, 6th grade) is one of a kind! I've been enjoying seeing his interests and talents develop. He has an interest in architecture, drawing, and writing. He's really great at writing, just like his father. :) This year he was elected in Student Council for "Publicity." He's suppose to write in the school newsletter and make posters for upcoming events. Leif is in his second year of orchestra, playing the violin. He said he was the only one that got a perfect score on the last test, and that's without practicing. I tell him to imagine how amazing he could play if he actually practiced. Leif always, always does his homework and chores- without me having to remind. That's huge! When Leif isn't doing homework or chores, he's playing with Legos. Leif is a Lego maniac. He loves to build, build, build!

Jeff is happy to have the daylight hours be longer now so he can enjoy the outdoors after work. There's an endless amount of yard work and outdoor projects at our house. Plus, it's nice for him to be able to run or bike in the light!

We all enjoy riding bikes and going on walks. Leif and Sabrina are fast enough to ride with Jeff when he pulls Eli in the bike trailer. Anders has a harder time keeping up (probably because he has to pedal twice as fast at least on his little bike), but I don't mind lagging behind with him and pushing Dacia in the jogger. I have a favorite route that is easy terrain and practically car free.

I've just finished my second week of a 9 week long 5k training program. I was sedentary during my pregnancy and am trying to get back into the swing of exercising again. I love going on walk/jogs and the perfect time is nap time! I used to get Eli to take a nap by turning on a movie, but now, I can put him to sleep with a ride in the jogger. I love it! :)

Dacia's insomnia has her awake again and so I bid farewell!

1 comment:

Clarisa said...

love the update. your kids are angels! love their responsibility level. you are obviously a great mama, even if a grump escapes you once a while. but milk in the water purifier? that's cute! did it turn it into water? hope you survive the next few years! love your outdoor time, so jealous. if you have time, will you tell me your program? suppose to do a 5k end of june but really not going to be able to do it if something doesn't change. i was thinking i might just walk it...